Friday, August 23, 2013

Plum and Pluot Galette

We were recently invited to a barbeque and I was in charge of dessert so I decided to make something with cooked fruit, namely the delicious dapple pluots I can't seem to get enough of.  I know that not everyone is a fan of cooked fruit but I love it in all forms.  In the fall there is nothing better than a delicious crisp, but in summer it is far too hot.  Summertime calls for a room temperature fruit dessert, and the most common variety is pie, but pies and I have a love-hate relationship.  I love to eat them, they hate to look pretty when I make them.  Enter the savior of every struggling pie maker's dreams, the galette.  Galette is basically a fancy word for a free form pie.  It doesn't involve perfectly crimped edges.  There is no top crust.  All in all, it is super easy and makes minimal dishes which is another huge plus in my book.

I started out with a refrigerated pie crust.  I love these things, just unroll and you are ready to go.  I highly recommend unrolling your pie crust onto a parchment lined baking sheet, then you have no baking sheet to clean and it's really easy to move your galette to your serving plate.

Mix together some flour and sugar and spread it evenly on your pie crust leaving a 1-2 inch border (this is the crust that will get folded over the top).

Then take your fruit, I used two dapple pluots and three black plums, but you could use any variety of stone fruits.  I almost used just pluots but at the last minute I thought the variety in color would look prettier so I added in the plums.  Cut each plum/pluot in half then twist it apart to remove the pit.  Cut each half in half again (now you have fourths) and then cut each fourth into thirds (this gives you twelve wedges from each piece of fruit).  If you have some smaller plums, cut them into eighths instead, use your best judgement. 

Take your fruit and lay them on top of the floured/sugared part of the crust in concentric circles starting with the outside circle until you can't see the crust underneath them.  I alternated slices of plum and pluot, overlapping a little as needed to make them fit.  You might have a few pieces of fruit leftover, feel free to eat those plain.  You could also dip them in a little bit of the sugar and spice mixture we're going to make if you have a little leftover.  I definitely did not do that.  Well, maybe I did, but that's our little secret.

Next mix together some sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom.  Sprinkle this all over the fruit, leaving a little bit to sprinkle on the top of the crust.

Fold up the edges of the crust all the way around, pleating as needed.  Then beat an egg and brush on top of the crust.  Remember the rest of that sugar and spice mixture, sprinkle it all over the crust (the egg wash makes it stick).

Loosely cover it with foil and bake it at 375 for 40 minutes.  Then remove the foil and bake for about 10 more minutes or until the fruit is softened and the crust is golden.

Now for a little more deliciousness, melt some apricot jam (I used Trader Joe's reduced sugar apricot preserves) in the microwave and brush it all over the fruit.

Let cool to room temperature before serving (with whipped cream if you like).   Then try not to eat the whole thing yourself, but if you do, don't feel too badly.  After all, it's fruit so it's healthy!  At least that's what I think. ;)

Plum & Pluot Galette
Adapted from Epicurious Plum Galette
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust
  • 2 medium pluots, halved, pitted, and cut into 12 wedges
  • 3 medium plums, halved, pitted, and cut into 12 wedges
  • 5 tlbs. granulated sugar
  • 2 tbls. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. cardamom
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup apricot preserves
  1. Preheat the oven to 375.
  2. Unroll the pie crust onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  In a small bowl combine 2 tbls. sugar and the flour.  Evenly spread the sugar and flour mixture onto the pie crust leaving a 1-2 inch border.
  3. Arrange the plums on top of the sugar and flour mixture in concentric circles, overlapping as necessary until the crust is not visible underneath.
  4. Combine 3 tbls. sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. cardamom.  Sprinkle all over the fruit, setting a little bit aside for sprinkling on top of the crust.
  5. Fold up the edge of the crust to cover the outer edge of the plums, pleating as needed, all the way around.  
  6. Beat the egg and brush over the crust, then sprinkle it with the reserved sugar and spice mixture.
  7. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 40 minutes.  Then remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the fruit is soft and the crust is golden.
  8. Melt the preserves in the microwave in 20 second increments.  Then brush over the fruit.
  9. Let cool to room temperature before serving (with whipped cream if desired). 
I'm linking up with Sunflower Supper Club's Weekend Potluck Foodie Friday, Link Party Palooza, Best of the Weekend, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Wonderful Food Wednesday, Suburbs Mama, and Pin Junkie.

8 comments:

  1. I have to say that I never heard of Pluots before, but I love plums and this looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pluots are a cross between a plum and an apricot. The dapple variety are my favorite. They are so sweet and juicy! If you see some in your local stores, I highly recommend picking some up.

      Delete
  2. I don't think we have Pluots in Iowa, at least I have never seen or heard of them before :) This looks delicious, so I will try and find some! Thank you so much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend! Pinning to our party board. Have a wonderful weekend and please join us next Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your galette looks so delicious! I absolutely love plums, and love baking with them! This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely galette! :) I've heard so much about this mysteriously delicious pluot but can't get it here in the UK! :( I followed you here from the party at 6 Sister's Stuff & would like to invite you to come link up with me on Tuesdays at Tasty Tuesdays, where every post gets pinned! Hope to see you on Tuesday! Here's the link to all my parties: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Tasty%20Tuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found me. I've bookmarked your party so I can link up on Tuesday.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous and I love pluot and have never baked with them. Thaks for sharing this with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soo pretty! And with a first-hand account, I can say it was delicious!!
    Thanks for the idea to make this, I am going to do a post on the one I made, linking back to your post, later this week!

    ReplyDelete